Traditionally, this is around the time of MoFo that the surveys take over . Yeah, they are an easy way out, but they’re also fun! I was the girl taking all the lame, pointless magazine quizzes, so this is right in my wheelhouse. Plus, I really do love reading everyone’s answers. And maybe I’m lazy. MAYBE.
I’ve only seen 1 survey pop up so far, and I almost took it, but then I scoured back into the depths of our old blog and found a nicely aged survey from a MoFo past, vintage 2007. I figure I’ll do this one, and it’ll be interesting to see how much my answers have changed in the past 4 years. I know my life has sure changed! (I have a 3 year old now, so you do the math). I have a habit of sticking with foods & recipes that I love, so I predict a lot of overlap. Also, now I have an excuse to repost the cute picture I originally used with this survey. I can’t help it really. So much cute. I will never get over how big and fluffy Karma’s legs are.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk? We use Silk Plain the most often, but will honestly use any plain soymilk that is on sale. I love Almond Breeze Almond Milk for smoothies and in my coffee though. So creamy!
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? Salt! maybe some nooch & earth balance
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? Oh my. There have been many. I burnt a whole stirfry last week, because I “forgot I was cooking”. I can’t believe that’s actually the reason, or that I’m owning up to it, but it’s true.
5. Favorite pickled item? Plain old dill pickles.
6. How do you organize your recipes? Once upon a time, I organized them all pretty in a binder, all in individual clear covers, sorted into sections. Now I have a huge stack of print outs shoved on top of that pretty binder and in between pages of my favorite cookbooks. Also, a folder full of files on my computer.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? Trash compactor and garbage disposal, which I actually just broke last night. It’s in a state of omfg, so I don’t even want to think about it right now.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)? Tofu, potatoes and kale! See how vintage this survery is? Includes a desert island question! Oddly enough I am not eating an animal in this scenario.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Hmmm. I have a few. My mom makes the best mashed potatoes & gravy ever. And french toast on weekends! Or my grandma having everyone over for lasagna (which I veganized and now make for everyone).
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? Purely Decadent Mint Chocolate Chip or Mocha Almond Fudge! I actually cried when I was pregnant because we were out of the Mocha Almond Fudge. Catastrophic.
12. Spice/herb you would die without? Basil or Oregano.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? I don’t remember? I’m guessing it was either a Sarah Kramer book or Vegan with a Vengeance
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Polaner’s All Fruit Black Cherry
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? I tend to win people over with baked goods. Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World has been my ambassador.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? Naptime! Seriously. Early afternoon. Peaceful and can get so much done. Anything I can prep or cook ahead is done during Silas’ nap.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? Nothing. It had cabinetry built around it.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Edamame, Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies that I’m trying not to eat for fear of allergic reaction, and So Delicious Banana Split Minis ice cream sandwiches.
20. What’s on your grocery list? Everything. Today is farmers market day and I need to grocery shop as well. I need Kale and tomatoes for sure. Tofu, soy sauce, bananas, apples… I’ll stop here and go make my actual shopping list on actual paper.
21. Favorite grocery store? Publix. It’s the best we have here. They are pretty good about having basic vegan products and have a great produce section. Sure beats our alternatives! (Winn Dixie or Walmart)
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet. Divinity candy. My husband’s mom & grandmother always made it during their holiday baking and that stuff is just made of magic. We haven’t attempted veganizing it yet, since it’s magically all egg whites. ugh.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? I don’t read a lot of food blogs normally, but vegan mofo has definitely changed that. The main ones I’ve kept up with for years (and you’ve already seen me link to them 50 million times) are Don’t Eat off the Sidewalk, Joanna Vaught and hmmm…. probably FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? Go Max Go Vegan bars. any of them.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? We are not very extravagant these days, so I’d say Veganaise or Daiya.